I guess as we age … I like to say I’m “seasoning well” (LOL) … so the more seasoned I become, the more I think about the legacy I’m leaving. Through the years, I’ve been blessed to do a lot of things where I have left a part of myself: Mission Trips, ministering to women, pouring into children and youth, pastoring along beside my husband, discipling and mentoring the next generation … all of which are part of my legacy. Yet the greatest legacy I will leave will be found in my family and will be passed generation to generation. This legacy is my heart.
Children are a gift from the Lord, a reward from him. He entrusts them to us for a short time to raise them and prepare them to become who he created them to be. We impart to them things that will be with them all their lives so we must be sure of what we are imparting. They are our greatest legacy and what we impart to them keeps us alive in all our generations to come. Our kids are our legacy.
“Children are a gift from the Lord;
they are a reward from him.”
For those of you in the midst of raising your children, I know that the days are long, the work is never done, and parenting is a challenge. But take it from a mom that has raised three children … at this point, it seems I blinked and the nest was empty.
After our kids are grown, we find ourselves blessed with grandchildren. Grandparents have a huge possibility of spoiling those babies but I also believe God has positioned us to pour into them … they also are our legacy.
“Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged (the “well seasoned” … my interpretation),
parents are the pride of their children.” Proverbs 17:6
Grandchildren ARE the crowning glory of the “well seasoned”. As a Gammi/Mimi to 15, I can tell you that this is so true! And can you believe that we are the pride of our grown children? Finally!!! That makes it all worth it!
We leave our greatest legacy in our children and grandchildren. So what do I want to leave behind … what do you want to leave behind … what do we want our legacy to look like? Here of some of my legacy goals … the things I want to impart to my children and my grandchildren and all my generations to come…
- I want them to love God with all that they are. “Jesus replied: ‘“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” Mathew 22:37
- I want them to worship God with abandon.
- To long after him … to be people after the heart of God. “As the deer longs for streams of water, so I long for you, O God.” Psalms 42:1
- I want them to know who they are in Christ —That he chose them as his very own.
- I want them to know they are loved with an endless love — That they are the apple of God’s eye.
- I want them to know that they are God’s masterpiece. “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” Ephesians 2:10
- I want them to know that can be world changers.
This is it … this is my heart … this is the legacy I want to leave behind. This legacy for me equals a happy heart.
What will your legacy be?